New York State law requires that every person owning or harboring a dog over the age of 4 months must obtain a license for that dog. Beginning January 1st, 2011 licenses will be administered by the individual municipalities and they will continue to be enforced locally.
Here's how it works:
Each licensed dog is assigned an identification number, which is similar to your social security number in that it never changes, is unique to the dog, and is assigned for life. The identification number is assigned on the license tag, which should be affixed to the dog's collar. The dog's identifying information (supplied by you on the license application) is kept in a computerized database that can be accessed should your dog ever become lost.
Fee Schedule: New as of January 1st, 2011.
- Male neutered or female spayed - $10.50
- Male un-neutered or female un-spayed, over 6 months - $15.50
- Exemption (guide, war, police, hearing or service dogs) - No Fee
Important information if renewing online
You will only be able to renew online if we have your pet's current rabies vaccination certificate on file. If rabies vaccination information is needed, simply mail, email or fax a copy of the certificate to us and we will be happy to update the database. This will allow you to then renew online.
You will need to know your dog's license tag number to renew online. Your pet's tag number can be found on the license renewal form. You can also find the number on your pet's license tag. If using the tag, you do not need to enter the 2408 prefix or the preceding zeroes. For example, if the tag on your pet says 2408000001, then you would enter 1.
There is a convenience fee applied automatically when you renew online. The fee is $1.75 minimum, or 2.45%, whichever is greater.
... or download and print the
DOG LICENSE APPLICATION.
After completing the form, remit to your local Town Clerk, either in person or by mail, with the following:
- The completed application form
- Appropriate fee (see schedule to the left) made payable to your Town Clerk
- Spay / neuter certificate (if applicable)
- Proof of rabies vaccination
- If applicable, proof of exemption status
- Self addressed stamped envelope, (for return of license tag) if mailing in information