Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Married Before?
A. If either party has been married before, they must provide proof of how EVERY previous marriage ended, i.e. Divorce decree, death certificate.

Q. Is there a waiting period?
A. Yes. After purchasing a marriage license, the couple must wait 24 hours before getting married. After the 24 hour waiting period, the license is valid for 60 days.

Q. How much does the license cost?
A. The $40 fee for the license includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by the issuing clerk to the applicants within 15 days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the ceremony).

Q. What are the age requirements?
A. In New York State, no parental consent is required for applicants who are 18 years of age or older. For applicants under the age of 18, please contact the Town Clerk at 585-346-3710 for more information.

Q. What do I do about my last name?
A. Every person has the right to adopt any name by which he or she wishes to be known simply by using that name consistently and without intent to defraud.

A person’s last name does not automatically change upon marriage, and neither party to the marriage is required to change his or her last name. One or both parties to a marriage may elect to change the last name by which he or she wishes to be known after the marriage by entering the new name in the appropriate space provided on the marriage license. The new name must consist of one of the following options:

  • the surname of the other spouse
  • any former surname of either spouse
  • a name combining into a single surname all or a segment of the pre-marriage surname or any former surname of each spouse
  • a combination name separated by a hyphen, provided that each part of such combination surname is the pre-marriage surname, or any former surname, of each of the spouses.

Whether you decide to use or not to use this option at the time of your marriage license application, you still have the right to adopt a different name through usage at some future date. However, your marriage license cannot be changed to record a surname you decide to use after your marriage.

Q. Who can marry us?
A. If you wish to have a religious ceremony, you may contact your place of worship to see who can perform your ceremony. Civil services can be conducted by judges, village mayors, and marriage officers.

Need more information? New York State Domestic Relations Law Article 3 Section 11 regarding who can solemnize a marriage.

Q. Do I need to notify Social Security?
A. If you elect to change your name, you must notify Social Security to have your name changed in their records. There is no charge for this service.

Q. How do I get a copy of my marriage record?
A. A certified copy of the marriage record may be obtained from the office of the Town or City Clerk who issued the license (fee $10), or from the New York State Department of Health (fee $30).

To request a copy of a marriage certificate from the Livonia Town Clerk by mail, you must:

  • Download the Application for Copy of Marriage Record
  • Remit the completed form and the $10 fee to: Livonia Town Clerk, PO Box 43, Livonia, NY 14487
  • Along with the above information, please send a photocopy of your driver’s license and a notarized letter requesting the marriage certificate.

To request a copy of a marriage certificate from the Livonia Town Clerk in person, you must:

  • Complete an application form available from the clerk
  • Remit the $10 fee (cash or check)
  • Present identification

Please note that because of the personal information contained on the marriage certificate, the Town Clerk will not give a copy of a marriage license to anyone except the bride or groom. Marriage licenses copies cannot be picked up by or mailed to children, parents, or friends of the bride and groom.

For more information, please visit the Department of Health web site at: