Jessica Sharp and Hayley Anderson

The Town Clerk’s office is frequently considered the center of Town government. It is not only the office which is responsible for recording activities of the Town government, but it is the central place in which are filed the documents and papers vital to the lives of the townspeople. Our Town Clerk, Hayley Anderson, has a great variety of duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to: custodian of all records for the Town, coordinator of the Town’s Records Management Program, clerk of the Town Board, Registrar of Vital Statistics, and Town/County Tax Collector. In addition, she issues many types of licenses and permits, such as hunting / fishing licenses, handicap parking permits, dog licenses, and marriage licenses.

Accessible Parking Permits

Accessible parking permits for Livonia residents are available at no charge from the Town Clerk’s Office. In order to apply for a permit, you and your doctor must complete an Application for a Parking Permit for Persons With Severe Disabilities. You must also bring the driver’s license of the person to whom the permit was issued, unless that person does not have a driver’s license.

Upon receipt of the application, the Town Clerk will issue a Temporary or Permanent Parking Permit. A Temporary Parking Permit can be issued for up to 6 months, at the discretion of the doctor. A Permanent Parking Permit is issued for a three year period. At the end of three years, the parking permit may be renewed at the Town Clerk’s office, provided the permit holder still resides in the town.

Important information:

The Accessible Parking Permit is issued to the person with the disability, not to the vehicle. Persons may not use the permit unless they are transporting the person to whom the permit is issued.

Accessible permits should not be left on the rear view mirror when driving.

Lost or stolen permits should be reported to the issuing agent immediately.

Up to two permits may be issued per person.

Permits are issued by the municipality in which you reside. If you have a Florida driver’s license, then you should apply for your parking permit in Florida. The Livonia Town Clerk can only issue an accessible parking permit for individuals that maintain their residency (as shown by their driver’s license) in the Town of Livonia.

Contact Information

Town Clerk

Hayley Anderson

Deputy Town Clerk

Jessica Sharp

(p) 585-346-3710 x3

Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Marriage license applicants must arrive prior to 3 pm.

*Notary Services available from 9am-4pm Monday-Thursday and 9am-12pm on Fridays.


Town Hall
35 Commercial Street
Livonia NY 14487

Mailing Address:
Livonia Town Court
PO Box 43
Livonia NY 14487

Dog Licenses

New York State law requires that every person owning or harboring a dog over the age of 4 months must obtain a license for that dog. Beginning January 1st, 2011 licenses will be administered by the individual municipalities and they will continue to be enforced locally.

Here’s how it works:

Each licensed dog is assigned an identification number, which is similar to your social security number in that it never changes, is unique to the dog, and is assigned for life. The identification number is assigned on the license tag, which should be affixed to the dog’s collar. The dog’s identifying information (supplied by you on the license application) is kept in a computerized database that can be accessed should your dog ever become lost.

Application Process

After completing the Dog License Application, remit to your local Town Clerk, either in person or by mail, with the following:

  • Completed Application Form
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Spay/Neuter Certificate (if applicable)
  • Proof of Rabies Vaccination
  • Proof of Exemption Status (if applicable)
  • Self addressed stamped envelope for the return of the license tag, if mailing information

Fee Schedule

Male neutered or female spayed – $10.50
Male un-neutered or female un-spayed, over 6 months – $15.50
Exemption (guide, war, police, hearing or service dogs) – No Fee

Important information if renewing online:

You will only be able to renew online if we have your pet’s current rabies vaccination certificate on file. If rabies vaccination information is needed, simply mail, email or fax a copy of the certificate to us and we will be happy to update the database. This will allow you to then renew online.

You will need to know your dog’s license tag number to renew online. Your pet’s tag number can be found on the license renewal form. You can also find the number on your pet’s license tag. If using the tag, you do not need to enter the 2408 prefix or the preceding zeroes. For example, if the tag on your pet says 2408000001, then you would enter 1.

There is a convenience fee applied automatically when you renew online. The fee is $1.75 minimum, or 2.45%, whichever is greater.

Freedom of Information Law (FOIL)

The Freedom of Information Law (Public Officers Law Article 6) is New York State’s principal statute on providing for public access to the records of government. The Records Access Officer (in Livonia, this is the Town Clerk) is responsible for ensuring appropriate agency response to public requests for access to records.

If you wish to make a FOIL request, you must make your request in writing. Please be as specific as possible in describing the records in which you are interested. Within 5 business days of the receipt of your request, we will send a written acknowledgment that we have received your request.

Certain records or portions of records are excepted from disclosure under authority of Public Officers Law Section 87.2 (a-1). Should your request be denied, you will be notified in writing stating the reason for the denial and advising your right to an appeal.

For more information on FOIL law, you may visit the New York State Office of General Services web site at:

Requesting & Obtaining Records via Email

The Governor recently approved legislation (Chapter 182) to amend the Freedom of Information Law that requires the Committee on Open Government “to develop a form, which shall be made available on the Internet, that may be used by the public to request a record”. The new law further requires as follows:

“All entities shall, provided such entity has reasonable means available, accept requests for records submitted in the form of electronic mail and shall respond to such requests by electronic mail, using forms, to the extent practicable, consistent with the form or forms developed by the Committee on Open Government pursuant to subdivision one of this section and provided that the written requests do not seek a response in some other form.”

Form for requesting records via email.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Hunting and fishing licenses are available at the Town Clerk’s Office. To obtain a hunting, bow hunting or trapping license, a previous hunting license or sportsman education certificate must be presented. To purchase a Resident license of any type, proof of residency is required (see below). Please note that a back tag is not sufficient proof of sportsman education, and a previous hunting or fishing license is not proof of New York State residency. For information on Sportsman Education Courses being offered in your area, or to obtain a duplicate training certificate, you may call 1-888-HUNTED2.

Please be aware that there are no longer combination licenses. All licenses must now be purchased a la carte. If you are a landowner with 50 or more acres and wish to use your landowner status when applying for Deer Management Permits, then you MUST present your SWIS code and Tax Map Number. We cannot guarantee that this information is in the computer.

Age Requirements
Anyone who is 16 years of age or older must have a fishing license in order to fish. Minors under the age of 12 may not obtain a hunting license nor hunt wildlife.

License Year
New in 2014 – Licenses and permits are valid from September 1 through August 31, except for fishing licenses, which are good for one year from the date of purchase.

Free Licenses
Free Small/Big Game, Fishing, and Trapping licenses are available to NYS residents who have the appropriate Sportsmen Education and are active service members of the NYS Militia, US Reserve Forces, or certain members of the US Armed Forces. For more information, call (518) 402-8843 or visit the DEC web site at

Lost Licenses
A current year lost license may be replaced at any license issuing outlet. There is a cost associated with replacing licenses and tags.

Acceptable Proofs of Residency:

  • NYS Driver’s License
  • NYS Vehicle Registration
  • NYS Non-Driver’s ID
  • NYS Income Tax Information (W-2 or IT201). Please note that pay stubs are not acceptable proof.
  • Voter’s Registration or current letter from Board of Elections
  • Lease
  • Student ID
  • Religious Verification (Amish, etc.)
  • Military LES/Orders

For Further Information
For further information, please visit the DEC’s web site at

Marriage Licenses & Records

A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license to any town or city clerk in the state. If purchasing the license from the Town of Livonia, because of the time it takes, you must arrive no later than 3:00 pm.

Please note that all documents must be in English.
If documents are in another language, applicants will need to obtain a certified translation. View information on obtaining a certified translation on the NYS website.

Identification must be current, not expired. All documents must be legible. Documents in pieces or falling apart will be rejected.

Please make sure you have all appropriate documents BEFORE you come to the office to obtain a marriage license. Our office turns away approximately half the people who come for the first time because they do not have the appropriate documents.

For other questions about getting married or marriage records please see our frequently asked questions.

Applicants Need:

  • Proof of Age (one of the following required)
    • Birth Certificate (Raised Seal Required)
    • Baptismal Record
    • Naturalization Record
    • Census Record
  • Proof of Identity (one of the following required)
    • Driver’s License
    • Passport
    • Employment Picture ID
    • Immigration Record
  • $40 Fee (cash, check, credit/debit. Please note additional fees apply to all credit/debit transactions.)

Notary Public

Notary services are available at no charge at the Town Clerk’s Office. You must appear in person and bring proof of identity in order to have a document notarized.

Vital Statistics/Geneology

Birth Records – FAQs

  • The person named on the birth certificate
  • A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent’s name must be on the birth certificate)
  • Only by order of a New York State Court may a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate

Copies of birth records are available from the Registrar of Vital Statistics for the town or city in which the child was born, or from the Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health. Please note that it does not matter where the parents lived at the time of the birth of the child. Births are registered in the city or town where the birth took place. In Livonia, the Registrar of Vital Statistics is the Town Clerk.

The fee for obtaining a copy of the birth record from the Town Clerk is $10 and the Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health charges $30.

Eligible people may request a copy of a birth certificate from the Livonia Town Clerk by mail as follows:

  1. Download the  Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Birth Record form.
  2. Remit the completed form and the $10 fee to: Livonia Town Clerk, PO Box 43, Livonia, NY 14487
  3. Along with the above information, please send a photocopy of a form of valid ID and a notarized letter requesting the birth certificate

Death Records - FAQ

  • A person with a NYS Court Order issued showing a necessity
  • The CURRENT spouse, parent or child of the deceased or their lawful representative
  • A person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim
  • A person with a documented medical need
  • A government agency for official purposes
    Please note that an attorney may only obtain a copy of a death certificate if they are representing someone authorized to get a copy.

Copies of death records are available from the Registrar of Vital Statistics for the town, village or city in which the death occurred, or from the Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health. Please note that it does not matter where the deceased lived at the time of death. Deaths are registered in the city, village or town where the death occurred. In Livonia, the Registrar of Vital Statistics for the town and village is the Town Clerk.

The fee for obtaining a copy of the death certificate from the Town Clerk is $10 and the Vital Records Section of the New York State Department of Health charges $30.

Eligible people may request a copy of a birth certificate from the Livonia Town Clerk by mail as follows:

  1. Download the Application to Local Registrar for Copy of Death Record form.
  2. Remit the completed form and the $10 fee to: Livonia Town Clerk, PO Box 43, Livonia, NY 14487
  3. Along with the above information, please send a photocopy of a form of valid ID and a notarized letter requesting the death certificate.

To obtain an uncertified copy of a death record for genealogical purposes, the person’s death record must have been on file for at least 50 years. The 50 year requirement is waived for direct-line ancestors of the deceased, however, proof of the relationship must be provided.

To request a copy from the Department of Health, go to:

To request a copy from the Livonia Town Clerk, follow the directions above for requesting a copy of a death certificate.

Genealogy Records – FAQs

  • All records start in 1881. We have no records prior to 1881.
  • Birth records – must be on file for at least 75 years and the person to whom the record relates is known to the applicant to be deceased.
  • Death records – must be on file for at least 50 years.
  • Marriage records – must be on file for at least 50 years and both parties to the marriage are known to the applicant to be deceased.

The fee schedule is per spelling of a name. Fee varies depending on requested number of years to be searched.

  • 1-3 years is $22
  • 4-10 years is $42
  • 11-20 years us $62
  • 21-30 years is $82
  • 31-40 years is $102
  • 41-50 years is $122
  • 51-60 years us $142
  • 61-70 years us $162

General Information and Application for Genealogical Services.  Send the completed form, along with appropriate fee made payable to: Livonia Town Clerk, to: Livonia Town Clerk, PO Box 43, Livonia, NY 14487.

I want to do genealogical research. Why can’t I just look through the old records myself? After all, there is no confidential information in the old records.

These records are permanent records and must be protected from excessive handling in order to help preserve them. Moisture and acids present on everyone’s skin will deteriorate the paper and ink, therefore, we wear special gloves when handling the records. In addition, old records can contain microbes (molds, etc.) which can cause illness if inhaled. Records Management Officers must wear special masks to guard against this type of infection.

Accepting Applications for Heroes Wall

Thank you for your interest in participating in our Hometown Heroes recognition wall. The wall will recognize currently serving military personnel who are from the Town of Livonia. The Town of Livonia includes: the Village of Livonia and the Hamlets of Lakeville, South Lima, South Livonia, Livonia Center and Hemlock.